My Character Bees
Character Bees Positive Discipline Program
The five “rules” or expectations of positive behavior do not change. Students are still expected to display these behaviors at all times. When a student is “caught” presenting behaviors in line with one of the Character Bees, that student is awarded a “bee”. Bees are recorded using the code B1, B2, B3, B4, B5 to track the kind of behavior for which the student is being rewarded. A student may be awarded a bee by a homeroom or a subject teacher. The
student’s bees are recorded in the My Bees section of the home page on the online platform, where students and parents can easily track the bees.
At the start of each trimester, bees are given very easily in order to create a “buzz”, so students will buy into the positive discipline concepts and connect the bees to the classroom rules. Redeem times are also scheduled more frequently, and students are able to choose their rewards from the options available, according to the number of bees they have. Rewards are basic and, for the most part, have little or no monetary value. The goal is to encourage the positive behaviors so that they become intrinsic to the students.
The success of the positive discipline reward system in the online classroom is directly dependent on parent support. Parents are asked to partner with teachers, to understand the rationale behind giving the bees and the subsequent rewards, and to support the program by providing and/or allowing rewards to happen at home.
Rewards are given on a tier system, so Level 1 rewards begin after a student has received 3 bees, and the levels move as far up as Level 5, which can only be redeemed by 20 bees. The list of rewards for meeting expectations is available below.
Bees Behavior Expectations
Bees Behavior Expectations
Level 1Redeemable After:
- Get a positive note from your teacher
- Bring your favorite stuffed toy to your class.
- Earn 2 Free Bees
Level 2Redeemable After:
- Wear your favourite cap or hat for a day.
- Wear your favourite sunglasses for a day.
- Enjoy 5 minutes of an activity of your choice.
- Lead a brain break activity.
- Enjoy show and tell with your class.
Level 3Redeemable After:
- Be King or Queen for a day.
- Be your favorite character for a day (Dress-Up)
- Be featured on the class activity wall for a day.
Level 4Redeemable After:
- Earn 3 free bees.
- Be exempt from house duties for a week.
- Enjoy a special treat from Mom and/or Dad.
Level 5Redeemable After:
- Receive a free Homework Pass for one subject (subject to teacher approval).
- Earn 5 points on a lowest grade.
- Be featured on the Horizon Facebook page for a day.